Monday, July 29, 2013

Repainting my Japanese Cruiser Bike Part 1 Updated

Hanging the bike frame to dry after spraying the third coating of primer.
I'm taking a holiday for myself and won't be doing any work for a while. My artworks would have to wait just a bit and writing too as I have decided to just restore a rather beat up Jitensha vintage cruiser bike.

One of the reasons why I preferred buying a used bike is that I can customize it the way I want to and I started with stripping the old paint that has been chipping away and thankfully, the frame has no rust despite being decades old.
The main reason why I bought a used one is that I don't have much of a budget and it's definitely a steal for its price.

I'm rather becoming obsessed with my new cruiser bike which I take as a healthy and fun obsession.
I started repainting today while yesterday was spent stripping paint and cleaning out old rusted parts with a solution that removes rusts. I also bought new bike parts to replace the old ones.

Decided to paint this one too.
Having a cruiser bike is not very popular for young people around here and I only seem to see them being used by laborers and working mom's in my area, I didn't see much of this in Metro Manila but people don't understand the elegance and nostalgia that this type of bike has. Everyone seems to clamor over mountain bikes with brand names all over them or bikes that cost for at least P50,000.

Audrey Hepburn riding a cruiser bike with a straight
step-through
These bikes are considered romantic and has that style and charm that not all bikes possess, it provides a lot of space for customization but still retain flair with its simple design. Perfect for casual bikers like me.

After the primer, the color is added. Now it's just waiting
for the top coat.
Unfortunately it started raining and I was not able to finish painting important parts of the bike like the frame because it takes at least 24 hours for the primer to dry. I had to stop and wait and hope for a sunny tomorrow.
Nonetheless, I certainly enjoyed painting the bike, it's rather expensive to have them repainted in bike shops s0 I'm happy that I bought a compressor a year ago. It's various uses never cease to impress me. Now I'm able to do it on my own.
Repainting the bike is also a good recreational activity for me as it took my mind off a lot of things.
Hopefully tomorrow, I'll be able to finish painting everything and can start making the wooden handlebar grips, boxes, and box carrier.

Updates:

Repairing the nicks of the fenders with automotive putty
Even the smallest parts were air brushed with the color I
chose. After spraying the color it is then followed by
several layers of the top and final coating.

I decided to repaint the bike the way they repaint cars, a complete and meticulous process that I won't compromise. The weather wasn't as cooperative as I wanted it to be so up to now, everything is hanging to dry and would wait for three days to make sure the paint has dried properly. The next activity on my list is to start bushing the frame of the bike.

Hanged the bike parts on our clothes rack




No comments:

Post a Comment